How to apply to the CDT in NLP
Our next application round, from 1st October 2020, is for September 2021 entry.
Early application is actively encouraged and, to ensure full consideration for funding, completed applications must include all supporting documents, where stated.
- 27th November 2020 - Non-UK
- 29th January 2021 - UK
Approximately a dozen studentships are available each year, covering both maintenance at the research council rate (stipend currently *£15,285 per year) and tuition fees. The programme starts in September each year and requires all students to be based in Edinburgh to optimise the cohort benefits.
Applicants who apply to this programme are automatically considered for scholarship opportunities as part of the selection process; there is no separate scholarship application required.
Studentships, although limited, are currently available for all nationalities. We particularly encourage applications from women, minority groups and members of other groups that are underrepresented in technology.
A wide range of research topics fall within the remit of the CDT:
- Natural language processing and computational linguistics
- Speech technology
- Dialogue, multimodal interaction, language and vision
- Information retrieval and visualization, computational social science
- Computational models of human cognition and behavior, including language and speech processing
- Human-Computer interaction, design informatics, assistive and educational technology
- Psycholinguistics, language acquisition, language evolution, language variation and change
- Linguistic foundations of language and speech processing.
Applicants should have an undergraduate or master's degree in computer science, linguistics, cognitive science, AI or a related discipline; or a breadth of relevant experience in industry/academia/public sector, etc.
Applicants must satisfy the programme requirements as indicated in the Degree Finder as well as the University's English language requirements.
Application instructions are available through the button below.
For more information specific to applying to the CDT NLP programme , such as what to include in your application, how to identify a supervisor, what does a good research proposal contain, etc, please click on FAQs button below.
If you are ready to apply now, please click on the Apply for a Studentship button below.