Performance & development reviews
An Annual Review is mandatory for all staff, with some differences because of your role and any exceptional circumstances.
The University wants everyone to have a quality Annual Review as we believe it:
- Provides a structure to review staff’s performance and development over the previous twelve months and discuss and agree objectives and development needs for the next twelve months, and for the longer term where appropriate
- Provides role clarity; staff know and understand what is expected of them for their complete role and how this fits into the wider plans of the University.
- Identifies contribution; objectives and priorities are clearly linked to the University’s mission and business unit goals and the discussion includes a review of staff’s contribution to achieving these goals.
- Encourages individual professional and personal development.
- Supports staff to consider their career aspirations and realise their full career potential.
Distinct processes are in place for individual staff groups, Support staff, Academic staff and Research staff. More information on PDRs for each of these groups can be found below. Full information on the University policy on PDRs is available on the University HR website:
Support staff PDRs
To be carried out annually, InfHR will contact support staff and line managers one month in advance of the proposed date of the PDR to allow time for the meeting to be scheduled and the paperwork to be completed.
Academic staff PDRs
Research staff development PDRs
To be carried out annually, InfHR will contact Research staff and their selected appraiser one month in advance of the proposed due date of the PDR to allow time for the meeting to be scheduled and the paperwork completed.