Increase in Language Requirements for MSc/AMSc in Design Informatics
Policy designed to increase language standard of Design Informatics students from 2019/2020.
Proposer: Maria Wolters, Programme Director Design Informatics
The change to language requirements has already been agreed by ECA for the 2019/2020 intake.
The requirements are here, and are already reflected in the ECA admissions pages.
For 2019/20 entry, all applicants must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of their English language ability:
- an undergraduate or masters degree, that was taught and assessed in English in a majority English speaking country as defined by UK Visas and Immigration
- UKVI list of majority English speaking countries
- IELTS: total 7.0 (at least 6.0 in each module)
- TOEFL-iBT: total 100 (at least 20 in each module)
- PTE(A): total 67 (at least 56 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections)
- CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE: ISE III with a pass in all four components
Implications for movement to/from the MSc / AMSc Design Informatics
Maria Wolters: "Since the Design Informatics requirements are higher than the Informatics requirements, a change from Design Informatics to any of the other Informatics degrees should not be a problem. Students who wish to switch from one of the Informatics MSc programmes to Design Informatics will need to talk to me. I am happy to make exceptions for students who clearly show in conversation that their English is up to the appropriate standard, even though standardised testing indicates otherwise. Students who wish to switch, but do not have sufficient IELTS/language scores and do not come across as being more capable than their scores indicate in interview can take any course from the Design Informatics portfolio that is open to Informatics students. Currently, this is Case Studies in Design Informatics 1, and we are looking to extend the range in 2019/2020."
Approved in Teaching Committee, Wed 10th Jan 2017.