Student desk allocation policy
Informatics policy on student desk allocation.
Informatics PGR Desk Facilities
The Informatics Graduate School is responsible for the management of PGR desk facilities within the Informatics Forum and dedicated spaces within the Bayes Centre.
Demand for space in both these buildings is extremely high and the IGS implement the PGR Desk Management Policy to ensure that desk resources are fairly and effectively managed.
Informatics policy on PGR desk allocation
The IGS PGR Desk Management Policy is available in the document below:
All PGRs and supervisors should familiarise themselves with the detail of the full policy. Key points are summarised below.
- Only PGR students registered on an Informatics PGR programme, with a principal supervisor from the School of Informatics are entitled to PGR desk space in the Forum and Bayes Centre.
- PGR desks are allocated for the period of the prescribed period of study plus a maximum of 12 months for the write up period, or until thesis submission (whichever is sooner).
- All Informatics PGRs allocated a desk are required to pay a £20 deposit for their office key. Deposits are returned when the key is given back to IGS on departure.
- Informatics PGRs must remain at their allocated desk and only the IGS has authority to permit desk moves. PGR supervisors / research staff are not permitted to authorise PGR desk allocations, relocations or swaps.
- IGS will communicate entitlement end dates by email to individual PGRs and their supervisors. PGRs must vacate their desk and remove all belongings by their entitlement deadline, or within one week of thesis submission, whichever is sooner.
- Desks and surrounding office spaces must be kept clean, tidy and organised at all times so as not to negatively impact on neighbouring colleagues. IGS will take restorative action in cases of concern or complaint.
PGRs who are not entitled to, or are no longer entitled to, a personal desk space may use one of the hot-desking areas, such as those in INF 4.18.
Visiting PGR students will not be allocated a PGR desk, but are invited to use the School's hot-desking facilities. Alternatively, visiting PGR students can make a request to the relevant research office to be allocated a staff desk (if any are available).
Enquiries / Issues
Students with any desk enquiries, or who wish to request a room or desk move, must contact the Graduate School to discuss this further.
Issues relating to the furniture or the room should be reported to the Graduate School Office in the first instance.
Any computing related problems should be reported directly to the Computing Support team.
Policy Approved by: Informatics Graduate School Management Committee (December 2018)
Policy effective from: January 2019