Room booking instructions
Instructions for admin staff with booking access on the process of booking rooms.
Forum opening hours
The Informatics Forum operates by standard opening hours, Monday to Friday from 8.30 am until 17.30 pm.
Any events or meetings organised outwith these hours will require mandatory servitorial cover.
- For out of office hours servitorial cover (before 8.30am or after 5.30 pm) email Steve Downes (email@example.com with CC to Peter.McDonald@ed.ac.uk) to arrange this cover.
- There will be a cost for additional servitorial cover which will usually be paid via an EIT.
- The servitors will do the room set-up requirements for the ground floor only, upper level room set-ups have to be arranged by the organiser.
- Poster boards are self assembly and the servitors are not responsible for doing this.
Using the Room Booking System
Please input the following information into the corresponding fields when creating a booking in the Room Booking System.
- Title of meeting/event
- number of people attending
- seating arrangements/room layout
- name of responsible person
- contact details for responsible person
- catering information (company and schedule of timings) and whether kitchen is required
- details of servitorial staff cover
- details of any technical help requested (eg power)
- details of extra cleaning provision
- information on number and use of poster boards
- Organisers contact details (name, telephone and email)
Cancelling a booking
When an event is cancelled, please remove the booking from the Room Booking System and contact all relevant parties to inform them.
The Turing Room
The Turing Room (5.42) can only be booked via the School Office.
It is important for the reception to know what catering company is expected for what meeting, as we regularly have more than one company in for different events and the receptionists need to know where to direct them to so make sure this information is entered into the RBS.
Any caterer using the professional Kitchen must have a risk assessment/compliance in place with the School's Health and Safety manager.
Additional cleaning services can be arranged through the cleaning services supervisor Fay Dowdeswell (Fay.Dowdeswell@ed.ac.uk with CC to Peter.Thomson@ed.ac.uk) to arrange for this.
Please note that additional cleaning services may incur a charge which must be borne by the event organiser.
The following resources can be booked:
- Posterboards - Stored in G.19 and the key can be obtained from reception for self assembly.
- Seating and tables (ground floor only).
- Please note that there is no AV support provided for external bookings.
- Please do not move the AV cabinets, this should only be done by support.
- G.07/07A lapel mics, table mics and handheld mics are held at reception.
- External AV support can be brought in as long as it does not interface with our systems.
- Outside agencies must liaise with our Technical Manager as he needs to know of any set-up requirements in the Forum.
- The School of Informatics are not responsible for any damage to external equipment that may have been used. In situ AV does not come with any warranty. External organisers should arrange their own AV for important events.
Health & Safety
When an event takes place out of office hours (i.e. outwith 8.30am to 5.30pm), please contact Health and Safety regarding risk assessments, responsible person and other H&S issues.
Any caterer using the professional kitchen must have a risk assessment/compliance in place with the Health and Safety manager.