5. First aid
Informatics first aid policy and procedures.
In the event of injury or illness a qualified first aider should be summoned. In serious cases when an ambulance is needed you or a first aider must dial 999 and state your name, location, telephone number and the nature of the emergency. You should also request the assistance of anyone present to direct the medics to the area if necessary. The University Emergency Service should also be informed on 2222 or (0131) 651 3999 if calling from outside the University's 650/651 exchange.
If you suspect that a casualty has been poisoned, alert Accident and Emergency, dial (9) 536 1000, so that A&E staff can get information from the Poisons Bureau.
First aiders' names and contact details along with the location of the first aid boxes are given on green notices which are displayed throughout the School.
First aid boxes
The School has provided a number of open access first aid boxes which are located throughout each building and additionally each first aider is supplied with their own first aid box.
First aid boxes and their contents are checked regularly to ensure that they are fully stocked.
- In the Forum first aid boxes are located on levels 1-5 at the coffee points in the drawer labelled with a first aid sign (a white cross on a green background).
- In Appleton Tower first aid boxes are located in the kitchen areas on levels 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and in the mechanical workshop (B. 128).
- In Forrest Hill first aid boxes are located in the kitchen areas on ground and level 1.
- In Wilkie Building first aid boxes are located in all the kitchen/eating areas
First aid rooms
Designated first aid rooms are available in some Informatics' buildings. Each first aid room contains essential first aid facilities and equipment for those who are injured or feeling unwell. These rooms are reserved mainly for giving first aid and as resting facilities for new and expectant mothers. The first aid rooms should remain locked when not in use.
- In The Forum the first aid room (G.11) is located on the ground floor next to reception. The key to the room can be obtain from reception or a first aider.
- In Appleton Tower the first aid room is located in the basement area. The key to the room can be obtained from the H&S Office (B.126C).
- In Forrest Hill the first aid room is located on the ground floor. The key to the room can be obtained from the Admin office on the 1st floor.