15. Induction & training
An outline of the safety information provided for new staff, postgraduate students and long-term visitors.
On arrival each new member of staff, postgraduate students and long-term visitors receive a safety induction pack and are shown the fire exit routes in their building.
Anyone who has not received this pack should contact David Hamilton on 504499.
Safety induction pack contains:
- Health and Safety Executive Publication Health and Safety Law - What You Should Know
- School of Informatics Health and Safety Leaflet
- General Fire Routine Procedure
- DSE risk assessment form (pdf)
- OHU leaflet: Are you keying comfortably? (pdf) Advice and exercises
- Project safety checklist
The University Health and Safety Department provides a range of training courses and at School level some in-house training is available (e.g. using hand held power tools, considerations when soldering, etc).
Safety Training Plans are used to identify training requirements within the School and ensure that appropriate training is arranged. Training needs are identified and suitable courses arranged by the H&S Assistant.