What to do when you have issues that need resolved.
The University has a formal complaints procedure but it is anticipated that most problems can be resolved through informal discussion. When this is unsuccessful, a formal complaint may be appropriate. Complaints should be submitted in the prescribed form to the Head of School who will generally ask the Director of Graduate School to investigate. Student complaint procedure, postgraduate research students.
There are sources of help in case of difficulties with supervision or any other aspect of your studies. Start near the beginning of the following sequence and work your way down if required.
- Your Principal Supervisor
- Your Assistant Supervisor(s)
- Your Institute Director
- Personal Tutor for Research Students (Paolo Guagliardo)
- Head of Graduate School (Nigel Topham - if your issue concerns admissions or your studentship)
- Deputy Head of Graduate School (Alex Lascarides - if your issue concerns anything else)
- Head of School (Jane Hillston)
- Dean of Students (Anthony Maciocia)
There can be special difficulties when, for instance, your Supervisor and Institute Director are the same person. In case of such difficulties, jump to the next level in the sequence.