More information for students wishing to transfer to or from a degree programme in Informatics.


Contact the Student Support team

Transfers into School of Informatics (from other Schools within the University)

Due to unprecedented demand for spaces on our programmes, transfers into the School of Informatics are not available in academic years 2019/2020 or 2020/2021.

Transfers within the School of Informatics

If a current Informatics student wishes to transfer onto another degree programme within the School of Informatics, they can contact the Student Support Team or their Personal Tutor with this request.

Students' course registrations should meet the Degree Programme Table requirements of their new degree, or have permissible substitutions.

Please note that students cannot internally transfer onto the Data Science (Graduate Apprenticeship) BSc; all students must apply via UCAS for this degree programme.

There are to be no transfers between degree programmes in the 2019/20 academic year for PGT students.

Transfers onto the 5 year Informatics MInf degree programme may have additional considerations to take into account, particularly regarding the Honours Project and the Honours progression hurdle.

In order not to interfere with the function of the School’s Boards of Examiners, internal transfers of degree will not normally be processed in the months of May, June or (exceptionally this year) July.  Requests to transfer degree that are received between 1st May and 22nd July 2020 will be actioned from 27th July 2020 after the stage 2 Boards of Examiners have concluded and progression decisions have been published to students.  Therefore, there is currently an embargo on transfers from 1st May - 22nd July 2020 inclusive.  An exception to this rule will only be made in the case where the transfer of degree is essential for a student to graduate or a student in Year 4 wishes to transfer to Year 5 of MInf rather than graduate with the BSc in the current academic year.

Please continue to send requests to the Student Support Team ( and we will keep them on file and request permission from the SCAO after the embargo is lifted.

Transfers out of School of Informatics

Permission to transfer out to another School is granted by the relevant receiving College.

If an Informatics student wishes to transfer to a programme in another School within the College of Science and Engineering, they should contact the Student Support Team or Teaching Organisation from that School.

If an Informatics student wishes to transfer to a programme in another School which belongs to a different College, approval is required by that College.  For continuing students who wish to apply for a transfer to a degree programme owned by a School in the College of Arts Humanities and Social Sciences (CAHSS), they must complete an online application form and submit it to CAHSS before the deadline, which is usually in June of each year. 

More about the CAHSS transfer request form and the application guidelines

Important note for students on a Tier 4 visa

If you are studying at the University of Edinburgh on a Tier 4 visa, a transfer to a new degree programme may affect your visa so we would advise you to tonctact the Student Immigration Service to enquire about any potential visa implications.

Student Immigration Service webpage

Important note for 1st year UG students

Until the end of week 2, semester 1, first year undergraduate students are not permitted to transfer without the permission of the relevant College Admission Team.  Please contact the Student Support Team if you require further information on this.

Important note concerning students studying abroad

If you are a current University of Edinburgh student who plans to study away from the University next year, or who is currently studying away from the University in this academic year, please note the following: i) you cannot transfer to another degree while studying away; and ii) if you wish to transfer degree you are strongly advised to coordinate with the Student Support Team and the Teaching Organisation of the School that you wish to transfer to, and while studying away to take courses which are compatible with the degree that you will be studying for when you return.