Taught MSc contacts

Contact information for Taught MSc students.

Who to contact?

Please spend a moment to identify the best person to contact. If you are unsure, please contact the ITO.

Information on.. First point of contact...
Overall Co-Ordination of Masters Programmes Year Organiser, Bjoern Franke
Choice of Specialist Areas and courses Online material. If necessary, discuss with Personal Tutor or relevant Course Lecturer.
Specific Courses Course Lecturer(s), tutor, TA, or lab demonstrator. See the sortable list of courses
Extension Requests See the School policy
Personal problems or guidance Your Personal Tutor, assigned after your arrival. Also, the Advice Place offer independent advice on academic and personal issues.
Project and Dissertation MSc Projects Co-Ordinator: Richard Mayr
Teaching Administration and Course Related Enquiries Informatics Teaching Organisation (ITO)
Computing Support Informatics Computing Support Contact Form
Feedback Course surveys and Student Reps

Personal Tutors (PTs)

Your Personal Tutor (PT) will be assigned on arrival, and should be listed in MyEd in addition to the Programme Director / Year Organizer (Paul Jackson, not your Personal Tutor).

Personal Tutors are your first point of contact with academics in the School. You can talk over your course choices and career plans with them. In addition, some students will need to contact their Personal Tutors later in the year.

It is extremely important that you contact your PT to report any difficulties that have affected your study as they occur, and prior to the appropriate Board of Examiners meeting (at the end of each exam period and after project submission).

Your PT will advise in confidence on what support we can offer, and makes sure that any appropriate measures are put in place in time for the Board of Examiners meetings.

Information submitted after the completion of the Board of Examiners process can only be considered via a formal appeal. Appeals require good reason for not submitting special circumstances earlier, and even when successful can result in lengthy delays.


If you are aware of (or suspect that you may suffer from) any disability that may impact your study, you should contact the Student Disability Service in order to be assessed by the relevant University panel. It is also advisable to inform the Year Organiser at the start of the course. Assessment takes some time, so you should notify us as soon as possible.


If you have an issue with a specific course, please raise this directly with the course lecturer. We welcome suggestions and constructive comments. If you feel unable to contact the lecturer directly, talk to one of the year reps or the Year Organiser. They will anonymously forward your feedback. At the end of each Semester, please complete the survey for each course you took.

We aim to give you feedback promptly on all of your submitted work. For larger courses, marking everyone's assignments can take time. However, each lecturer should make it clear when you expect to get your work back. If there are problems with getting the feedback you need, please contact the Year Organiser (optionally through the year reps) without delay.