General information for prospective students regarding course structure, research themes and benefits of the programme
- The PhD programme duration is 4 years
- You will work on a project of strong interest to the sponsoring company
- You will have at least one world-class academic and a company advisor
- You will have a placement with the sponsoring company between 3 to 6 months as part of the PhD programme
- Any highly talented student can apply to the available projects with no restrictions (UK/EU/International)
- The Programme is offering a generous annual stipend (exempted from tax)
- You will undertake a comprehensive training programme including innovation & entrepreneurship
- If you undertake all innovation and Entrepreneurship training you will qualify to a second PhD certificate and another graduation ceremony from EIT Digital at a European city.
- AI and Security
- Data Science and Security
- Cryptography and Distributed Ledger (Blockchain)
- Secure Future Networks
- Privacy and Security for Devices and IoT
- Protocol and Program Verification
- Quantum Cyber Security
- Socio-technical, Human Factors, Law and Risk
Why study at the University of Edinburgh?
The University of Edinburgh is one of the world’s leading research institutions in artificial intelligence, machine learning, quantum security, cryptography and distributed ledger, data science, automation and robotics, behaviour analysis, etc. Edinburgh University is ranked in the top 20 Universities Globally by QS 2021 ranking, and First in Europe in AI. Edinburgh is famous for its world-leading researchers and highly talented students. Besides, Edinburgh University has been recognised as an Academic Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security Research by the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), UK.
The programme is hosted by the school of informatics (largest informatics school in Europe) and the Students will be based at the Bayes Centre, the newly established modern building adjacent to the school of informatics. The Bayes Centre brings together academics and students working in the fields of Data Technology, Design Informatics, Maths and Robotics with start-up / spin-out companies and industrial collaborators. It is a building worthy of Edinburgh’s reputation and leadership in these fields.
Why study in the city of Edinburgh?
Edinburgh, Scotland’s capital, a student-friendly city. QS ranked Edinburgh as the UK’s second-best student city after London and 15th globally. Comment from one of the students “Edinburgh is the best city in the world. Not just the beautiful architecture and setting, the people make it great. Friendly and always accepting, I will never forget my time in Edinburgh.” Not only that, but Edinburgh is also a buzzing place for start-ups and innovative technology businesses.