People & Culture Committee
The People & Culture Committee advises the Head of School and Strategy Committee on matters that ensure the School has an inclusive culture.
Next meeting: Tuesday 21st February, 11am-12:30pm, room TBC/Hybrid.
The Committee’s primary focus is to:
- Champion equality, diversity and inclusion across the School;
- Agree and implementing priorities to improve EDI for both staff and students, which includes agreed Athena Swan actions required to maintain the School’s Athena Swan Award;
- Agree and implement priorities to improve staff engagement identified from staff surveys and other focus groups. Student engagement is out of the scope of this Committee.
Some specific responsibilities include:
- Promote and monitor completion of mandatory EDI training.
- Monitor and advise on Equality Impact Assessments.
The Committee will set up working groups to take forward particular priorities and members will lead and participate in those working groups.
- The School’s Health, Safety & Wellbeing Committee includes responsibility for promoting the wellbeing of staff and students and there may be some overlap with the People & Culture Committee. There will be some membership overlap across both Committees to ensure each is aware of matters impacting Wellbeing.
- The People & Culture Committee does not have responsibility for preparing Athena Swan Award submissions – a separate fixed term Self-Assessment Team will be established for that purpose that will be led by the Athena Swan Champion and with representation from the People & Culture Committee. It is expected that the Committee has overall oversight to ensure gender issues and actions are addressed and incorporated into wider EDI actions where they do or could impact more widely than gender.
|Member category||How appointed||Incumbent|
|Director of People & Culture (Chair)||
|Deputy Director of People & Culture (Deputy Chair)||Ex officio||Nadin Kokciyan|
|Athena Swan Champion||Ex officio||Stuart Anderson|
|Head of School||Ex officio||Jane Hillston|
|Deputy Head of School||Ex officio||Frank Keller|
|Director of Professional Services||Ex officio||Joy Candlish|
|Staffing Support Manager*||Ex officio||Sam Inch|
|Communications representative*||Ex officio||Kasia Kokowska|
|Student Experience Manager*||Ex officio||Sophie Mills|
Academic staff representatives(x3-6 to represent Research Institutes)
|Professional services staff representative||Appointed||Eilidh Guild|
|Research Staff representative||Appointed||
|PGR student representative||Appointed||Lucy Havens|
|Taught student representative||Appointed||Alexandra Purcarea|
*Members representing their specific role and professional services staff as a whole.
Officer to the committee: Staffing Support Manager
Clerk to the committee: PA to Head of School
Appointment of members and term of office
Appointed members will be appointed from the respective constituency with the support of the membership of that constituency and will normally serve for a term of two consecutive years, although the Committee will review its Remit and Membership annually to ensure relevance.
Others may attend meetings of the Committee, at the discretion of the Chair, as the business of the committee may determine.
At the discretion of the Chair, members who are unable to attend may nominate a substitute, who will act with the member’s authority.
To Strategy Committee via Director of People & Culture.
Frequency of meetings
Three to five meetings during the academic year.
Meetings/Minutes AY 2022/23
All papers presented to this committee must use the template below:
|14 October 2022|