Student ambassadors represent the School of Informatics and assist with undergraduate recruitment activities such as University Open Days.
Apply to be an Informatics Student Ambassador
Student ambassadors are recruited at the start of each semester and are a crucial part of undergraduate student recruitment activities for the School of Informatics. It is likely that you will have met an Informatics ambassador yourself if you have attended an Offer Holder Visit Day or an Open Day during the university application process.
Ambassadors are paid £9.87 an hour plus holiday pay.
Applications for the next cohort of ambassadors are now closed.
Please note: to be eligible to apply, you are required to reside in the UK for the duration of your time as an ambassador.
Ambassador work is varied. Some examples of activities and responsibilities are as follows:
Assisting with events such as Offer Holder events and the University’s Undergraduate Open Days e.g.
- Delivering student life presentations
- Supporting the management of queries from prospective students when required (e.g. answering queries via Facebook or during online events)
- Participating in panel sessions during offer holder events
- Providing a student perspective e.g. via student blogs, social media posts or short videos
Due to Covid-19, work opportunities will be online for the present.
Due to employment regulations, we can only offer you 2 months' work at a time. If you continue to work for us, you would require a 1 month break before working for another 2 months. More details will be provided if your application is successful.
There are no set hours per week, as the work is seasonal and the number of ambassadors required varies. On average you will work a few hours per month.
There may be another opportunity to represent the School online by working with the central team. We will make ambassadors aware of this opportunity in the coming months.
- Current matriculated undergraduate student at the University of Edinburgh
- Currently living in the UK (and continue to reside in the UK throughout their employment)
- Studying a degree involving Informatics (includes joint honours students)
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and in writing, in person and online
- Enthusiastic about studying Informatics, higher education, and the University of Edinburgh in particular
- Excellent time-management skills
- Willingness to follow instruction and initiative to work on projects
- Excellent team working skills
- Represent the University and the School with integrity and enthusiasm
- Familiar with Central campus
- Previous customer service experience or having held a similar ambassador type role
- Experience of working with social media in a non-personal capacity
- Experience of creating and editing video content
Applications for our Spring 2021 intake are now closed.
The application process is a short written application form.
We will select ambassadors based on the strength of their applications as well as choosing those at different stages of study and degree programmes to give us a balanced cohort.
Please note: recipients of Women in Informatics bursaries are not eligible for paid student ambassador roles
If you have any questions about becoming a Student Ambassador, please email us: