Performance & development reviews
An Annual Review is mandatory for all staff, with some differences because of your role and any exceptional circumstances.
People and Money implementation
This information and guidance is still correct and continues to apply until further notice.
The University wants everyone to have a quality Annual Review as we believe it:
- Provides a structure to review staff’s performance and development over the previous twelve months and discuss and agree objectives and development needs for the next twelve months, and for the longer term where appropriate
- Provides role clarity; staff know and understand what is expected of them for their complete role and how this fits into the wider plans of the University.
- Identifies contribution; objectives and priorities are clearly linked to the University’s mission and business unit goals and the discussion includes a review of staff’s contribution to achieving these goals.
- Encourages individual professional and personal development.
- Supports staff to consider their career aspirations and realise their full career potential.
Distinct processes are in place for individual staff groups, Professional Services staff, Academic staff and Research staff. More information on PDRs for each of these groups can be found below. Full information on the University policy on PDRs is available on the University HR website:
Staff members are exempt from carrying out a PDR if:
- They have been wholly or largely absent during the review period. This can include sabbatical leave, secondment, long term sickness, maternity/paternity leave etc.
- They are still within their probationary period. Depending on your grade, this will either be 6 months or 1 year.
- They have a formal confirmation of end of employment or a resignation date which is before the deadline of 30th June.
Professional Services staff PDRs
To be carried out annually, InfHR will contact Professional Services staff and line managers one month in advance of the proposed date of the PDR to allow time for the meeting to be scheduled and the paperwork to be completed. The deadline for completion is 30th June.
Academic staff PDRs
To be carried out annually, InfHR will contact staff and line managers one month in advance of the proposed date of the PDR to allow time for the meeting to be scheduled and the paperwork to be completed. The deadline for completion is 30th June.
For grades 8 and 9, you are automatically assigned your Director of Institute as your appraiser and grade 10 employees are assigned the Head of School. You can allocate another suitable appraiser if you wish to do so. Please note that all PDR’s will be signed off by the Head of School and final comments added. New academic staff who have been with the University for less than 1 year are not obligated to complete a PDR however it is recommended that you meet with the Head of School to discuss future development. Please contact the Head of School PA to arrange.
Research staff development PDRs
To be carried out annually, InfHR will contact Research staff and their selected appraiser one month in advance of the proposed due date of the PDR to allow time for the meeting to be scheduled and the paperwork completed. The deadline for completion is 30th June.
Your PI will automatically be assigned as your appraiser however you can allocate another suitable appraiser if you wish to do so.