Room booking instructions
Instructions for those staff with room booking permissions. During the current situation more thought should be given to risk assessments and whether or not a meeting needs to take place in person. In person meetings require further consideration as to capacity of the meeting room and layout, and acquiring and recording contact details of everyone attending by seat number. Any deviation to the room layout will require a new plan to be provided and potentially a new risk assessment.
Forum opening hours
The Informatics Forum operates by standard opening hours, Monday to Friday from 9.00 am until 5.00 pm.
Any events or meetings organised outwith these hours will require mandatory servitorial cover.
- For out-of-office hours servitorial cover (before 9.00am or after 5.00 pm) email Steve Downes (firstname.lastname@example.org with CC to Peter.McDonald@ed.ac.uk) to arrange this cover.
- There will be a cost for additional servitorial cover which will usually be paid via an eIT.
- The servitors will do the room set-up requirements for the ground floor only, upper level room set-ups have to be arranged by the organiser.
- Poster boards are self-assembly and the servitors are not responsible for doing this.
Using the Room Booking System
Please input the following information into the corresponding fields when creating a booking in the Room Booking System.
- Title of meeting/event
- number of people attending
- seating arrangements/room layout
- name of responsible person
- contact details for responsible person
- catering information (company and schedule of timings) and whether kitchen is required
- details of servitorial staff cover
- details of any technical help requested (eg power)
- details of extra cleaning provision
- information on number and use of poster boards
- Organisers contact details (name, telephone and email)
Cancelling a booking
When an event is cancelled, please remove the booking from the Room Booking System and contact all relevant parties to inform them. This is important as meeting space is in short supply.
The Turing Room
The Turing Room (5.42) can only be booked via the School Office.
The Turing Room is primarily for use for events organised internally by the School of Informatics with a direct connection to the research, teaching and other activities of the School. In order to minimise disruption to the normal business of the School, booking requests from organisers from outwith the School of Informatics will be declined, other than in exceptional circumstances. The Turing Room is not suitable for events requiring delivered catering for lunch.
It is important for reception to know which catering company is expected for which meeting, as we regularly have more than one company in for different events. Reception needs to know where to direct them to so make sure this information is entered into the RBS.
Any caterer using the professional kitchen must have a risk assessment/compliance in place with the School's Health and Safety manager.
Additional cleaning services can be arranged through the cleaning services supervisor Debbie McCreadie: email@example.com with CC to Peter.Thomson@ed.ac.uk) to arrange for this.
Please note that additional cleaning services may incur a charge which must be borne by the event organiser.
The following resources can be booked:
- Posterboards - Stored in G.19 and the key can be obtained from reception for self assembly.
- Seating and tables (ground floor only).
- Please note that there is no AV support provided for external bookings.
- Please do not move the AV cabinets, this should only be done by support.
- G.07/07A lapel mics, table mics and handheld mics are held at reception.
- External AV support can be brought in as long as it does not interface with our systems.
- Outside agencies must liaise with our Technical Manager as he needs to know of any set-up requirements in the Forum.
- The School of Informatics are not responsible for any damage to external equipment that may have been used. In situ AV does not come with any warranty. External organisers should arrange their own AV for important events.
Health & Safety
When an event takes place out of office hours (i.e. outwith 9.00am to 5.00pm), please contact Health and Safety regarding risk assessments, responsible persons and other H&S issues.
Any caterer using the professional kitchen must have a risk assessment/compliance in place with the Health and Safety manager: