Publications & Open Access

Information on how to adhere to publication and open access policies.


EPSRC requires that we collect, and make accessible, details about publications, conference posters and presentations by students funded by a CDT grant. This information is also crucial for obtaining future grant funding.

To meet this requirement, CDT students must deposit all their published papers, as soon as accepted, into the University’s publication repository PURE. This is done by using the publications web form:

You should deposit papers that you have co-authored, as well as those on which you were the primary author, unless you know for certain that the primary author has already done so.

Finally, you should provide details about publications and other acadmic outputs, to the CDT Administrator. For further details see:

Open Access Policy

UKRI, which includes our funder EPSRC, has required that all publications resulting from CDT-funded work are made openly accessible. There are several ways to meet this requirement:  

► 1. Publish your paper in a fully open-access journal. These journals typically require an article processing charge (APC) to cover the cost of publication. The University has a dedicated but limited APC fund from the RCUK to pay these extra charges directly to the publishers; for further details see:

► 2. Publish in a closed-access journal, but pay them an extra article processing charge (APC) to make your article open-access immediately.

► 3. Publish in a closed-access journal, but make the accepted peer-reviewed version of your paper openly available through PURE. The accepted version must be made openly available within 6 months of publication, to meet EPSRC requirements. If a journal doesn't allow that, you must ensure open access by paying the APC or choose a different journal. To check whether a specific journal complies with the EPSRC open-access policy, use the SHERPA/FACT  tool to search for the journal, specifying EPSRC as the funding source:

For more details about self-archiving in particular journals, you can use:

Options 1 and 2 are called "Gold OA", and ensure that the article is immediately freely available to all. Option 3  is called "Green OA", and  is still open-access, but not immediately and not as conveniently. UKRI gives preference to immediate, unrestricted open access, but the Green OA option can be used as well, provided that the paper is made publicly avalilable within 6 months of publication.

When presenting a paper at a conference, information on what rights you retain should always be found in any copyright transfer form that you sign.  As a general rule, ACM, IEEE and conferences that are published in Springer LNCS allow self-archiving with no embargo period. The Research Data Management team are available to assist with queries about a particular journal or conference venue:

If you wish to publish your work in a journal which offers the Gold OA Option 2, but the University fund has been depleted, contact CDT administration via to request that the CDT pay the extra APC charges. Normally, we expect you to choose one of the other options, because the CDT has no dedicated funds for extra APC charges, but if there are special circumstances for your particular publication then we will take those into consideration.

CDT funding for publications is independent of the end date of your PhD. If we have funding remaining, we will pay suitable publication costs even well after your PhD is completed, as long as the publication is about work that you undertook while you were a CDT student and EPSRC CDT funding is properly acknowledged in your article.