Get ready for your studies
Information for new students
Please note that, in line with Scottish Government and UoE guidelines for the management of the Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak, IGS and CDT staff are on a phased return to campus for the provision of face to face administrative support services. We are currently working towards introducing the most efficient and safe schedule in order to welcome new PGR students to the School of Informatics.
If you have an offer to start your studies in September 2021, please refer to the document below for information on your induction to the School of Informatics.
If you have an offer to start your studies in October 2021, please refer to the document below for information on your induction to the School of Informatics.
Your essential tasks
Matriculation and student card collection
Every student needs to complete the registration and matriculation process in order to be a fully-matriculated student. You should have been sent a link to appropriate guidance about the online registration / matriculation process approx. 4 weeks before you are due to commence your studies. If you have not already completed the online registration, please aim to do this before you arrive on campus.
Guidance on registering your University login and MyEd account, as well as completing the matriculation process is available here:
As a University of Edinburgh student you are required to have a valid student card. You can find information on how to apply for a student card here:
Please check updated information on distribution of student cards below:
After registering with the University and making arrangements for your student card you must confirm your attendance with the IGS. This will allow us to welcome you to the School, confirm that you can start your programme and provide you with an introduction to your new place of work.
The IGS Team will soon get in touch with you to provide specific information on how to confirm your attendance. You should note that it is not possible to register with the School before the attendance date shown in your offer of admission. Once your formal registration has been completed, the School will direct you to your Institute admin office team or CDT admin team.
Once attendance is confirmed, the following will be organised:
- registration details for your DICE account (the School of Informatics computing system);
- access to PGR office space;
- access to Computing Facilities provided by the School;
- details about receiving your monthly stipend and completing necessary financial paperwork (applicable to funded students only).
Arranging and receiving UoE stipend payments
- Students in receipt of a funded offer must contact the Fees Department to present a copy of their programme offer letter. This is very important as it allows the Fees Department to confirm the award of the funding and helps make sure the School is invoiced for the payment of tuition fees. Pay your fees
- Where PGR students have been awarded a funding package from the University, the IGS will arrange all stipend payments.
- In order to receive stipend payments, students must be successfully and fully matriculated and have their attendance confirmed.
- Once matriculated, students will receive the necessary payment paperwork and must provide the IGS with their bank account details, into which the stipend will be paid.
- Students who are to be paid a stipend should complete and return the necessary finance paperwork to IGS ASAP, and by the end of September welcome week (or the week of arrival if arriving outside of the September welcome week). Delays in receiving the necessary information will result in delays in students receiving their first payment.
- Students must also add their UK bank account information into their EUCLID student record (click the following link https://edin.ac/finance-student-bank-details). This will allow students to login to their MyEd account and access the “Add my bank details to my student record” online form. We need your UK bank account details submitted in this format to process the initial stipend payment.
- Note that the IGS can only make stipend payments into BACS compliant UK bank accounts (NB: we are able to pay into validated Transferwise accounts or Revolut accounts).
IMPORTANT - Once a student is fully matriculated, and IGS have been provided with the necessary paperwork and UK bank account details are in EUCLID, the IGS finance administrator will submit a payment request for the initial bulk payment. It can take up to 20 working days for this initial payment to reach the student bank account, so students should plan their finances accordingly. Students may be a few weeks into their study before the first payment is received. The first payment made is normally a block payment, equivalent of 3 months of stipend payments, subsequent payments will be paid monthly (in advance, not arrears) into the same UK bank account.
New students are expected to complete relevant training in order to be granted access to the Informatics buildings. For further guidance on compulsory induction you need to complete please see below.
Updates will also be communicated to new students via email or during the IGS welcome and induction session on Tue 14th Sept 2021.