Booking Travel

Guidance on organising and paying for trips and using the new Diversity Travel portal.

As of 01 Feb 2022, Diversity Travel is the new provider of the University's travel booking service.

All currently available information is available here: Booking travel: FAQs | The University of Edinburgh

Students and CDT admins can now register a Diversity Travel account and begin to use it to search for, and book, their travel requirements. 

  • CDT students should contact their CDT admins for help with booking travel and accommodation. 
  • Non-CDT students should contact their Level Admin office for assistance. 

Students should still familiarise themselves with the University’s policies on travel and claiming expenses.  They are listed here.   


All travel must be authorised by the appropriate budget holder prior to making any travel requests.  

  • CDT students/funds – funds requests considered via submission of a Funds Request Form (FRF), approval required from supervisors and CDT Directors. Bookings made via CDT administrators. 
  • Institute students/funds – students should request funds via their supervisors, approval required from Institute Directors / Portfolio Managers. Bookings made via Level Admin offices. 
  • IGS students/funds – funds from the IGS travel budget are considered via submission of the IGS application form, approval required from Deputy Director of IGS and Graduate School Manager.

Travel Insurance

The University provides travel insurance for anyone (staff and students) who is travelling on University business.   There is no charge for insurance cover.  There is also no facility for annual travel insurance. 

Travel insurance cover is NOT automatic.

Student travellers must submit an application and secure University travel insurance, even if travel is within the UK and involves only a day trip by air/train or an overnight stay.

Travel insurance must be requested via the Online Insurance Application Form.  The system will generate an email confirming that the application is being processed and will be confirmed within 2 working days. 

If a student is travelling abroad, a COVID TRA1-CV19 and a general travel risk assessment form must be completed and approved by the DoPS BEFORE any travel/accommodation is booked. The approved risk assessment will be needed when applying for travel insurance. 

Additional Information

All staff/students must adhere to the University's Business Travel Policies

All trips must adhere to the University's Sustainable Travel Policy (unless a specific exemption applies).  

All travel must be reasonable - if you do not choose the most economic fare, you will need to provide justification for your choice before the travel will be booked. 

Accommodation should only be up to the 3* range.  If you choose a more expensive hotel, you will need to provide justification for your choice before accommodation is booked. 

Work-related travel health - The Occupational Health Unit can provide advice on the health aspects of travel as well as providing vaccinations. Travel advice Travel advice for many countries is available from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office Travel Advice web site.

Visas - You are responsible for arranging your own visa if one is required for entry into a particular country.  The Informatics Graduate School can provide official letters confirming your student status if one is required for the application.