Student support

What to do when you have issues that need resolved.

PGR Student Support

There are sources of help in case of difficulties with supervision or any other aspect of your studies. Detailed information is available on the Student Support Summary webpage. 

Dignity and Respect

The University has a zero-tolerance stance towards any form of bullying and harassment.  The Respect at Edinburgh web hub has been created to bring together information and guidance on the Dignity & Respect policy, the processes for raising and addressing concerns, and the support and training available. If you have a dignity and respect issue that needs to be addressed, please contact your pincipal supervisor in the first place or the PGR Personal Tutors. If you have an issue relating to equality, diversity and inclusion in general, please contact the relevant representative on the School EDI Committee and/or the School's EDI Director.  

Mental Health and Wellbeing Support

Mental health and wellbeing difficulties can occur at any time of life, and have the potential to affect a PGR student's potential to fulfill the requirements of their Masters or doctoral degree. The University is committed to providing a positive academic experience and equality of opportunity for all students, and encourages those who feel that they are encountering mental health difficulties to make these known to the University as soon as possible.

University Student Support Services (Wellbeing)

Service Details of support provided Contact details
EUSA Advice Place

The EUSA Advice Place is a professional, impartial and inclusive service for all students at the University of Edinburgh. The service is free, independent and confidential. EUSA  work to ensure that all students, including PGRs, can access effective advice, information and support. 

Contact the EUSA Advice Place

Residence Life (Accommodation)

The Accommodation Service has a Residence Life service, which is available to all students residing in University accommodation.  Residence Life offers a wide range of tailor-made activities, events, sports, fundraising and volunteering opportunities, life-skills sessions and information and awareness campaigns.  They also offer a pastoral care service. 

Contact the Residence Life team
University Chaplaincy

The University Chaplaincy is a safe and welcoming service for people of all faiths or none. They offer a range of support services including social drop-in sessions with tea and coffee (by donation); opportunities for personal and spiritual development; worship facilities and belief contacts for a wide variety of faiths; multi-faith and belief events, meals, conversations and festivals; volunteering opportunities and meeting spaces for societies and religion & belief groups. They also offer a Listening Service for students and staff who want to touch base on any concerns or anxieties, or are looking for a timely or purposeful conversation.

Contact the Chaplaincy team
Student Counselling Service The Student Counselling Service supports the mental health of all students at the University, through short term counselling and referral to other support. Contact the Student Counselling Service
Student Disability Service The Student Disability Service offers support to all students with a range of health conditions, learning differences, disabilities and some temporary injuries.  Support is offered to all students, including PGRs on University of Edinburh full-time and part-time programmes. If you are unsure of whether you are eligible for support or would like to know more about the support the SDS offers, please contact them directly for guidance.  Contact the Student Disability Service
The University Security team The Security Service team can assist in an emergency and give out-of-hours student support. This service offers access to front line advice from the 24/7 security team and if necessary, access to an on-call student services manager who can offer further, practical advice and information, normally over the phone. The service is intended to support students who are experiencing a welfare crisis which is too urgent to leave until the next working day. Contact the Security Team

Other (Non-Univeristy) Wellbeing Support Services 

Service Details of support provided Weblink
Togetherall Togetherall is an online service providing access to millions with anxiety, depression and other common mental health issues. Togetherall
SilverCloud Silvercloud is  is a confidential internet-based platform developed by SilverCloud Health that delivers online therapeutic and psycho-education programs. A variety of programs aim to offer information and support for people experiencing problems related to mental health. Silvercloud
Befrienders Befrienders Worldwide provide an open space for those in distress to talk and be heard. This is via telephone helplines, SMS messaging, face to face, internet chat, outreach and local partnerships. Befrienders Worldwide
Breathing Space Breathing Space is are a free, confidential, phone service for anyone in Scotland over the age of 16 experiencing low mood, depression or anxiety.  Breathing Space
TherapyRoute TherapyRoute is a clinician-run mental health resource and service directory which facilitates improving the accessibility of mental health services; promoting awareness of talk therapy and facilitating professional visibility.  TherapyRoute
Nightline Nightline is a student listening service which is open at night and run by students for students. Every night of term, trained student volunteers answer calls, emails, instant messages, texts and talk in person to their fellow university students about anything that’s troubling them.  Nightline
The Samaritans The Samaritans is a volunteer phone helpline, available 24/7 for anyone who’s struggling to cope, who needs someone to listen without judgement or pressure.

Samaritans give people ways to cope and the skills to be there for others. They offer listening and support to people and communities in times of need.

Edinburgh Crisis Centre Edinburgh Crisis Centre is open 24 hours a day 365 days of the year and provides community based, emotional and practical support at times of crisis. It is a service for people who are aged 16 and over who are using or have used mental health services and are resident in the City of Edinburgh when they are facing a crisis. This includes people who have seen their GP, used voluntary services and people who identify themselves as having a mental health issue. Edinburgh Crisis Centre
NHS24 (111) The NHS 24 111 service provides urgent care advice day or night and health support when your GP practice is closed. The service can also help if you are in mental distress or you think you need A&E but it’s not life threatening.   NHS 24 111

University Student Support Services (administration and academic)

Service Details of support Contact details
Student Administration

Student Administration are responsible for providing services to all students throughout their time at the University of Edinburgh and for supporting Colleges and Schools and other student services in delivering a high quality student experience. The department has general responsibility for arrangements for examinations; assessment and charging of fees; graduation ceremonies; immigration visa compliance; information on a wide range of student services through our Student Information Points; official student documentation; provision of personalised timetable; student finance (i.e. bursaries, scholarships, loans and hardship funds, travel funds and US loans); student societies bookings; student study space bookings; student support and liaison with UK funding bodies (i.e. SAAS and SLC).

Visit or contact the Student Information Point
Finance (fees and scholarships)

The University Finance (including Fees) team can assist with all questions relating to finances and payment of tuition fees.  The Student Funding team can assist with queries about scholarship opportunities, as well as help with financial support during times of financial difficulty, including access to financial aid or hardship funds. 

Contact the Finance Helpline
Student Immigration Service The Student Immigration Service provides expert advice and guidance on all matters related to student immigration. The Student Immigration Service is responsible for giving advice on study-related visa routes; providing information on post-study options; providing a Student visa application checking service; issuing a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) to those who need to apply under the Student route and conducting the International Check-in.  Contact the Student Immigration Service
Institute of Academic Development

The remit of the Institute of Academic Development team is to provide University level support for teaching, learning and researcher development; through leadership, innovation, collaboration and direct provision that benefits students, staff and the University’s international reputation. This remit includes a mixture of direct support for students and staff (e.g. workshops, online resources, networks and advice), much of it delivered in partnership with Schools and other Services, alongside support for curriculum innovation and enhancement.  They offer a large range of PGR focused training and development events throughout the academic year, details of which are available in their training brochures

Contact the Institute of Academic Development

Support Guidance for Staff 

The University's Code of Practice on Student Mental Health is also available to help staff who may be in a position of needing to signpost PGR students to relevant support services. The Code should also be read in conjunction with the leaflet ‘Helping Distressed Students, a Guide for University staff’, which takes staff through a step by step process and approach, both if the situation is urgent or if it does not require immediate action. It also provides a brief guide to a range of University support services that can also help students with mental ill health. 


The University and the School has a formal complaints procedure but it is anticipated that most problems can be resolved through informal discussion with the right representatives within the School. When this is unsuccessful, a formal complaint may be appropriate. Complaints should be submitted in the prescribed form to the Head of School who will generally ask the Head  of Student Services to investigate. Student complaint procedure, postgraduate research students.