Late coursework & extension requests
The School of Informatics policy on coursework deadlines, which applies across all taught courses.
This guidance should be read in conjunction with the University Assessment Regulations and Special Circumstances Policy:
Late submission of Coursework
Importance of submitting by the deadline
Students need to submit assessed course work by the published deadline. In general, you are expected to plan your time well and including contingency time. For example, if you expect a piece of work to take two days, you should begin it more than two days before its deadline.
If you have a good reason to submit late, please request an extension before the assessment deadline.
- Extensions- where there were circumstances that affected your ability of completing your coursework on time, and where late submissions are allowed, the Extensions and Special Circumstances (ESC) team will consider an extension for coursework submission for up to a maximum of seven calendar days.
To request an extension, you will need to submit your request via the online Assessment Support Tool. NB The process of applying for Learning Adjustments remains unchanged, please continue to use the online form, link below.
Note: If you are granted an extension for assessed group work please inform the other members of your group and the Course Organiser so they are aware of the extension.
Late coursework without an authorised extension will be recorded as late and the following penalties will apply:
- 5 percentage points will be deducted for every calendar day or part thereof it is late, up to a maximum of 7 calendar days. If you have not submitted coursework within these 7 days, a mark of zero will be recorded. If you are submitting coursework electronically, the last version that has been submitted by the deadline will be the one that is marked (late submission will only be accepted if no submission in time has been made).
- If you have an approved extension and you submit after the extended deadline you will receive a mark of zero
- Exceptionally for INFR08027 Informatics 2C Introduction to Computer Systems late submissions will receive a mark of zero
- For the following courses extensions are not permitted and any late submissions will receive a mark of zero:
Accelerated Natural Language Processing (INFR11125) -CW2 and CW4 only
Automatic Speech Recognition (INFR11033) CW1 only
Compiling Techniques (INFR10065) - CW4 only (not delivered 2020/21)
Computer Communications and Networks (INFR10074) Quizzes
Data Mining and Exploration (INFR11007) - CW1, CW2, CW3
Data Visualisation for Professionals (INFD11018) - all coursework
Discrete Mathematics and Probability (INFR08031)- all coursework
Explainable Machine Learning (INFD11019) - all coursework
Image and Vision Computing (INFR11140) - CW1
Informatics 1 - Introduction to Computation (INFR08025) - all coursework
Informatics 1 - Object Oriented Programming (INFR08029) - CW3
Introduction to Databases (INFR10080) - all assessment
Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition (INFR11130) - all assessment
Natural Language Understanding, Generation, and Machine Translation (INFR11157) - CW3 Class Test
Research Methods in Security, Privacy and Trust (INFR11188) - CW1 Class Test
Robotics Science and Systems (INFR11092) -CW3 Practical Test
Software Design and Modelling (INFR10064) - fixed date for assessment (not delivered 2020/21)
System Design Project (INFR09032) - Group Work
The Human Factor (INFR11141) - CW1
Exceptionally for UG4/5 Projects
- No extensions unless specifically permitted by your Schedule of Adjustments for this course.
- 5 percentage points will be deducted for every calendar day or part thereof it is late, up to a maximum of 7 calendar days. If you have not submitted coursework within these 7 days, a mark of zero will be recorded.
Honours Project (INFR10044) - dissertation
MInf Project (Part 1) (INFR10051)- dissertation
MInf Project (Part 2) (INFR11093) - dissertation
- Late submissions up to 7 days with an approved extension are not penalised.
- Late submissions up to 7 days with an approved learning adjustment are not penalised.
- Late submissions up to 14 days with an approved learning adjustment plus an approved extension are not penalised.
If you have an approved extension and you submit after the extended deadline you will receive a mark of zero. If there are circumstances preventing you from submitting your work within the permitted time, you will need to apply for Special Circumstances. Please contact your personal tutor or the student support team for more information.