Induction 2020 Information
Complete information for Informatics students starting in September 2020
Welcome to the School of Informatics. This page contains important information for the new academic year the School of Informatics. We plan to update the website regularly with the newest information and links. If you feel any information is missing, please contact Student Support Coordinator, Benjamin Bach.
What happens during Induction Week?
- Induction week schedule and talks
Please check the University Events App for additional Welcome Week events including PGT sessions to meet your Programme Directors.
Recordings of Undergraduate Events
Recordings of Postgraduate Events
You may also want to check these links to help you get ready for the year.
- University page for new students
- register to university logins
- get setup with Office365
- begin matriculation process
- pay fees and prepare finances
- apply for university card with the university library, and
- register with local doctor and access health service
- Good Citizen Guide: guidelines for our community during times of pandemic
- Set up your Dice account
Dates and checkpoints to do
Week 0: induction week
- Make sure you have checked the University page for new students (link above)
- Also check the essential 6 tasks to be completed upon arriving in Edinburgh (link above)
- Upload Events App (above)
- Set up your Dice account
- Check in with your personal tutor. They will help you finalizing your course choices, enroll you into the courses missing enrollment and eventually matriculate you. Personal tutors will be there to support you throughout your studies in many matters. Don't hestitate to contact them (see links below).
Week 3: finalize course choices
- Check with your tutors that you have finalized your course choices. E.g., up to this week, you can still modify courses. After this week, no course changes can be made.
- Information about InfBase and InfPals
Help and Support Programmes for the School of Informatics
- Informatics student-run pages: Better Informatics
- EdHelp, a service bringing together frequently used student services: learning resources, IT help, and paying fees: EdHelp
- Personal Tutors help you with issues related to course inscription, change of study programme, exam resits and filing for special circumstances: Personal Tutors in Informatics
- InfBase is a support programme to help with coursework. It has weekly dropin sessions, lead my senior students: InfBase
- InfPALS is a student-led support scheme to organize sessions to help with study: InfPALS (more information coming soon)
- Programming Club: Programming Club website
- CompSoc Academic Families is bringing a buddy system in place to socialize with senior students: CompSoc Academic families website
- Introduction to DICE for Taught Students: DICE for Taught students
- Introduction to DICE for Research Students: DICE for Research Students
Extra Curricular Study Support Programmes at th University
Short courses provided by the Institute for Academic Development into a diverse range of topics to help you with study: IAD website
Preparing for study (for UG students)
LibSmart: your library research starts here (for UG students)
Digital skills awareness (for UG students)
Successful academic communications (for UG students) *available from 14th Sept*
Support for taught postgraduates (for PGT students)
Getting Started with postgraduate research (for PGR students)
For further information, please contact this address: DLAS@ed.ac.uk
University wide Support Services
Below is a list of services offered by the University to help you with a range of issues related to study and your private life. (links coming soon)