Student Study Spaces Booking System
Guidance for booking study space using the lab machine booking system
The booking system can be found at the link below. You may be asked to authenticate, do so using your DICE username and password.
Please note: If you are trying to access the system from outside the University's network, make sure you are using the School or University VPN. You will not be able to access the booking system from outside the University unless you do so.
Though most students are expected to work from home as much as possible during the current COVID crisis, it is recognised that some may still need to make use of the lab workstations in Appleton Tower. Because of the small number of workstations available, it is now necessary to book out an individual workstation in advance before making use of it. Booking sessions run from 9:30am to 16:30 on the half hour and are by default 1 hour long. Please note that to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to access these workstations, the following restrictions are in operation:
- The maximum length of a booked session is two hours
- The total length of all future sessions you have booked can be no more than 6 hours.
- You can only book sessions up to a week in advance. This is a rolling restriction which extends from the current time for 604800 seconds, that is one week.
- Bookings can only be made for the following day made by 4.30pm to allow cards to be programmed for access. For Monday bookings this is 4.30pm on Friday. Same day books are not possible.
Note also that you will be expected to log off and leave your workstation at 20 minutes past the hour at the end of your session to allow for a safe handover.
Machines Available to Book
The images on the right indicate the machines available for students to book on Levels 5 and 6 of Appleton Tower.
Using the system
The initial screen you will see looks like this:
(depending on the width of your browser window, you may not see the calendars on the left hand side). Workstations are split into different floors of Appleton Tower, chosen via the drop down menu in the centre of the screen under the date. You can use any available workstations on any level of Appleton Tower. Individual workstations have names like 1/6.06 where the '1' is the individual number of the machine and '6.06' is the room in which it is located.
There are three types of bookings, individual self-study (cyan), teaching (green) and maintenance periods (yellow). To make a booking, click on a free period. The following screen will appear:
You can use the 'End:' drop down menu to extend the session length to 2 hours if you wish, and if the machine is free. When you are happy, click 'Save'. Note the green tick and red cross to the right of the save button. The booking will only be made if both these symbols are green ticks. Moving the mouse pointer on top of a red cross should produce a pop-up window explaining what the issue is.
You will receive an email with details of the booking you have just made. You may be asked to show this email as proof that you have booked the workstation so don't delete it until after your session. This email also contains an ical attachment which you can use to add your booking to your calendar.
Other helpful things to know
- From the main screen, you can click on your username at the top right of the window. This will take you to the search window and show you all the future bookings you have made.
- To delete a booking, click on the meeting you wish to delete and then click on the 'Delete' button. You will get an email to say this has been done.
- You can only change the length of a booked session by deleting the existing booking and then making a new booking of the desired length.
Make sure that your username appears at the top right of the booking system window. If it doesn't, click on 'Login'.
Contact support using the support request form and we will investigate.