Student Support

All the information related to student support in Informatics.

New Student Support Model

Please note these pages are being reviewed to reflect ongoing changes to how we support our students throughout their journey. If you are a new taught student in the School of Informatics (UG1 or MSc) your main points of contact will be your student adviser and your cohort lead.

What do we do?

We are a friendly and approachable team whose main focus is student welfare.  We offer help and guidance when you are experiencing challenging situations and/or need extra support.  Our service is available to all taught students.

We work in conjunction with your personal tutor to provide practical solutions to the challenges you face, directing you to the appropriate support services and assisting you with administrative processes that occur as a result.  

Contact us

Please contact us via Student Support Team email (below).

If you would prefer to have a chat with a Student Support Officer, please email the team to arrange an appointment. All appointments will be carried out digitally over Microsoft Teams. If it is important that you see a Student Support Officer face-to-face please add this information into your meeting request and we will try to accommodate this where possible. 

Email SST  

Should I ask for help from my Personal Tutor or the Student Support Team?

As a rule, your Personal Tutor, or Student Adviser for MSc students, is the first point of contact during your studies and they will help you with any questions you have relating to your academic study. 

However, we understand that academic performance and health and well-being are intrinsically linked. Difficult and emotional situations in your personal life can seriously impact your academic performance, just as challenges in your academic life can impact your health and well-being. 

The Student Support Team act as a first point of contact for all non-academic matters. So if your personal tutor is not available or you would like advice on matters relating to your health, well-being or welfare, please contact the Student Support Team.  

Some commonly asked questions

  • I’m feeling homesick and lonely, what should I do?
  • I need an operation and I will be hospitalised for 2 weeks, what should I do?
  • I am suffering a bereavement and it’s really affecting my studies, what should I do?
  • I have caring responsibilities for a family member, can I get extra support?
  • I am struggling with a long-term medical condition, can I get extra support?
  • I need financial help with my studies, who should I contact?    


The School of Informatics policy on coursework deadlines, which applies across all taught courses.

Special circumstances

Information about the special circumstances process


Information for students wishing to transfer their degree programme

Health and wellbeing

More information about the range of services available for your physical and mental wellbeing.


Authorised Interruption of Studies. 


More information about the steps to follow in case of withdrawal from your studies.

Disability Support

Disability support for students.

Student issues relating to dignity and respect

The University has a strong and long-standing commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and to promoting a positive culture which celebrates difference, challenges prejudice and ensures fairness.