Tier 4 Attendance & Monitoring

Guidance and policies on Tier 4 visa student attendance and monitoring.

General Information

As a ‘sponsor’ of international students within the UK immigration system, the University is required to evidence Tier 4 student attendance and engagement.  International students (non-UK; non-EU) often require a Tier 4 General Student visa to study in the UK.  Though other types of Visas are possible (for example if the student is permitted to study while holding a spouse visa), Tier 4 General Student visas are the most common.  

UK Visa Requirements


Important information for students on a Tier 4 Visa

As a Tier 4 student, the University of Edinburgh is the sponsor of your UK visa. The University has a number of legal duties to manage our sponsorship of your visa. These include:

  •  monitoring your attendance on your programme and
  • reporting to the Home Office where you suspend or withdraw from your studies, complete them early, fail to register or are repeatedly absent to the point of being excluded from studies.

As a student with a Tier 4 visa sponsored by the University of Edinburgh, the terms of your visa require you to, (amongst others):

  • Ensure you have a correct and valid visa for studying at the University of Edinburgh, which, if a Tier 4 visa, requires that it is a visa sponsored by the University of Edinburgh;
  • Attend all of your University classes, lectures, tutorials, etc where required. This includes participating in the requirements of your course including submitting assignments, attending meetings with tutors and attending examinations .If you cannot attend due to illness, for example, you must inform your School. This includes attending Tier 4 Census sessions when required throughout the academic session.

Please note that any email relating to your Tier 4 sponsorship, including census dates and times will be sent to your University email address - you should therefore check this regularly.

Information or advice about your Tier 4 immigration status can be obtained by contacting the International Student Advisory Service, located at the International Office, 33 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9JS

Email: immigration@ed.ac.uk

Census points for Tier 4 students

All Tier 4 students are required to report in person to designated census points (for undergraduate students, this applies to Semesters 1 and 2; for postgraduate students this also applies over the summer period)  which count towards the attendance checks required by UK Visa and Immigration (UKV&I; formerly UKBA).  Attendance is monitored centrally by Student Administration.

Census information on Student Administration site

Roles & Responsibilities

Information regarding the role and responsibilities of both the Tier 4 student and of the University as a Tier 4 sponsor is available via the International Office: 

Tier 4 general sponsorship

Information for current Tier 4 Students

Engagement Monitoring

To ensure we meet the engagement requirements for Tier 4 students outlined in the  University policy and required by UKV& I, the approved Engagement Monitoring Plan must be followed by all staff in relation to Tier 4 students, this is linked from the College of Science and Engineering wiki:

School Plan for Tier 4 Engagement Monitoring

Staff Guidance

As of 1st August 2014, the University has enforced a new policy for recording the attendance and engagement points of all Tier 4 students.  

Guidance and procedural notes for Personal Tutors and PGR Supervisors in relation to the new Engagement Tab in EUCLID are available here:


Additional guidance for staff in relation to Tier 4 Attendance and Engagement Monitoring is available through the International Office's Wiki (requires EASE log in): 

Staff Tier 4 Compliance Wiki