27 October 2021 Agenda

Agenda for Informatics Board of Studies meeting on 27 October 2021, 14:00hrs-16:00 hrs - ONLINE - Blackboard Collaborate


Bring your own laptops or tablets

Please remember that we do not provide hard copies of agenda items or their supporting documents at the Board of Studies meetings. Please ensure you bring your laptops or tablets with you in order to view this agenda and its items during the meeting. You will likely need to sign in to the wi-fi 'eduroam' using your DICE credentials.

Welcome to all members and introductions

(Please note that it is intended that the session will be held via Blackboard Collaborate - Collaborate virtual classroom | MyEd Student and Staff Portal)


Apologies received:  John Longley, Myrto Arapinis.



Actions from previous meeting(s):


17022021_BoS Item 4.1: "Decolonising the curriculum" Forms for BoS approval (Vijay Nagarajan)

NEW ACTION: Sharon to double-check link from webpages.


20012021_BoS Item 7:  For Information:  Approval of UNISTATS Learning, Teaching & Assessment Data, and Programme Accreditation Data (Vicky M/Sharon G)

ACTION: Vicky (VM) to discuss the process with Sharon (SG) upon receipt of the update

OUTCOME: Ongoing - still awaiting update from Student Analytics Team.


17022021_BoS Item 6: Updates to MSc Cybersecurity and Privacy DPT (Ben Morse, Myrto Arapinis)

ACTION 1:  Ben (BM) to share details of the waiting list with Myrto (MA) and Bjoern (BF).

OUTCOME: No conclusion on waiting list issue.

NEW ACTION: Bjorn to take forward.

ACTION 3: Myrto (MA) to confirm with COs and ISS which courses can be moved to S1 to better balance the timetable.

OUTCOME: Current balance agreed in March – to be reviewed for 2022-23.


24032021_BoS Item 5: A preliminary proposal for restructuring the Minf (Sharon Goldwater)

ACTION:  Sharon (SG) to provide Committee with a full/updated proposal in future BoS meeting.

OUTCOME: ongoing


01062021_BoS (June virtual BoS) Item 1

Action: Myrto Arapinis to submit a plan to DoLT for re-designing the Computer Security cw and/or marking scheme.

Action: COMN instructors to re-designing the cw and/or marking scheme.

Action: UG3 BoE convenor to report back to BoS in June 2022 regarding COMN mark distribution.


18082021_BoS Item 1: Proposal for re-organisation of Hons/MSc Introductory Machine Learning curriculum (IAML splitting into two new courses) - Oisin Mac Aodha (Item 1), Chris Williams (Item 1a)


ACTION: investigate setup of this course in PATH with regard to prerequisites. (Sharon Goldwater)

ACTION: check suitability of Joint Degree students. (Chris Williams / Sharon Goldwater)

ACTION: Item 1 approved, Item 1a approved conditional on sorting out prerequisites.

ACTION: ISS to create the courses once fully approved (but not until Feb 2022, to avoid confusion by students registering for courses in 21/22).


18082021_BoS Item 2: Approval of updated Degree Programme Specifications for single honours Informatics degrees - Sharon Goldwater & Björn Franke

ACTION: ISS to update DRPS.

OUTCOME: complete.


Matters Arising


Agenda for Today


27102021_BoS Item 1 - IPAB Curriculum Reorganisation (Ram Ramamoorthy)


Item 1a - overall plans (Ram)


Item 1b - Course proposal: Introduction to Mobile Robotics (Lu, Khadem, Webb)


Item 1c - Course proposal: Computer Vision (Sevilla-Lara)


Item 1d - Course proposal: Advanced Robotics (Li)



27102021_BoS Item 2 - Proposal for new course - Standards Compliant Software Development (Stuart Anderson)


27102021_BoS Item 3 - Course Proposals in Progress (Sharon Goldwater)