TC Agenda 11th April 2018

Teaching Committee Agenda for 11th April 2018.

Meeting Agenda

Informatics Teaching Committee Agenda

Wednesday 11th April 2018 14.00hrs, Appleton Tower room 7.14



18.37 Apologies for absence: Jane HIllston, Helen Pain,  Alex Lascarides.

18.38 Minutes of Previous Meetings

18.39 Matters Arising

(TC May 10th, Item 4) - Proposal to Remove Elevated Hurdles for Progression to Honours - B. Franke.

Action: DoT to contact Business School, Convenor to contact PPLS. The Convenor contacted PPLS in order to understand better how they handle this. Action: Convenor to send details to Gillian Bell - COMPLETE.

ACTION: Convenor to contact Business School.


18.04   Moderating IPP Marks - G. Sanguinetti

Action: It was agreed to move forward with the plan to take feedback from the tutors regarding cases they saw as unusual, and the course organiser would moderate these cases appropriately. Marking guidelines are to be fleshed out and a marking form devised.

ACTION: Ongoing – DoT to examine.


18.12   Draft Learning and Teaching Plan - Director of Teaching

Action: DoT to confirm the role of Year Organiser. The DoT mentioned that he was considering the roles of both Year Co-ordinators and Degree Programme Organisers, which may end up being combined.

ACTION: DoT to include this in the next draft of the Learning and Teaching Plan.


18.06-03 (AOCB)         Student access to the Forum.

It was decided that a protocol was required to (a) prevent students being stuck in the Forum after hours and (b) to ensure that fire safety issues were taken into account.

ACTION: DoT to investigate.


18.26   Increase in Language Requirements for MSc/AMSc in Design Informatics - Maria Wolters

ACTION: The proposal is to be deployed for academic year 2019/20, with data on the outcomes of language skills and outcomes to be examined in the meantime. The Course Descriptor is to be updated. OUTCOME: ongoing - SCE Admissions contacted by ITO.


18.27   Usage of Appleton Tower room 5.01.

Action: ITO to instigate purchase of wheeled chairs with integrated desks. Update: The proposal has been updated to include a DICE presence in 5.01.

ACTION: ongoing - ITO to investigate the options of installing DICE functionality within a flexible layout


18.29-01 – The Convenor raised the ongoing subject of software options for coursework submission.

ACTION: The Convenor is to set up a sub-committee (including as a member our new Learning Technologist) to look into the area.


18.29-02          A replacement lecturer for IPP is required.

ACTION – ongoing.


18.34   Employment of UG and MSc Tutors Policy v3 – DoT

ACTION: the policy shall be updated to permit Year 2 students to take demonstration roles as above.

18.40 Reviewing BoE borderlines policy - Iain Murray

18.41 Exam Rubric Proposal - Sharon Goldwater

18.42 Recruitment Report - Helen Pain

18.43 AOCB