TC Agenda 9th May 2018

Teaching Committee Agenda for 9th May 2018.

Meeting Agenda

Informatics Teaching Committee Agenda

Wednesday 9th May 2017 14.00hrs, Appleton Tower room 7.14



18.43 Apologies for absence: Stuart Anderson

18.44 Minutes of Previous Meetings

18.45 Matters Arising

(TC May 10th, Item 4) - Proposal to Remove Elevated Hurdles for Progression to Honours - B. Franke. ACTION: DoT to contact Business School.

18.04 Moderating IPP Marks - G. Sanguinetti. Marking guidelines are to be fleshed out and a marking form devised. ACTION: Ongoing - Convenor to contact DoT.

18.06-03 (AOCB) Student access to the Forum. ACTION: DoT to investigate.

18.26 Increase in Language Requirements for MSc/AMSc in Design Informatics - Maria Wolters. ACTION: The proposal is to be deployed for academic year 2019/20, with data on the outcomes of language skills and outcomes to be examined in the meantime. The Course Descriptor is to be updated. OUTCOME: SCE Admissions contacted by ITO - in progress.

18.27 Usage of Appleton Tower room 5.01. ACTION: ITO to investigate the options of installing DICE fundstionality within a flexible layout.

18.29-01 – The Convenor raised the ongoing subject of software options for coursework submission. ACTION: Convenor to establish sub-committee to investigate options.

18.29-02 – A replacement lecturer for IPP will be required. ACTIon - ongoing - convenor to speak to DoT.

18.40 - Reviewing BoE borderline policy. Policy agreed. ACTION: ITO to update Policy webpages - outstanding.

18.41 - Exam Rubric Proposal - agreed. ACTION: ITO with Iain Murray to put in place for 2018/19.

18.42 - Recruitment Report. Comments from Helen Pain on discussion:

"Re the previous meeting, if the issue comes up of balance of numbers applying for MSc programmes, discussed at the last meeting, I would strongly oppose putting any bar, quota or higher entry level on any one specific programme in the AI/CS/Inf group for a number of reasons:

1. It would be impossible to enforce as we offer our students such flexibility of course selection and the ability to switch between programmes

2. it is not clear that taking e.g. the AI MSc means that the project is really in AI, and that this entails extra load on 'AI' staff - other students can take 'AI' designated projects, and AI students take projects in a whole range of areas. For example, we have many staff in the Natural Language area whose projects would be attractive to students on the AI programme.

3. It would encourage students to apply to another programme and switch later - this would penalise the honest ones

4. We do not want cohorts that are weaker and stronger within the MSc (e.g. if higher entry for AI applicants) - we want all strong students!! So higher entry for everyone... we should take the strongest students where we can - so we should not reject a strong AI applicant whilst taking a weaker CS one...

5. Fashions change - it was machine learning, then data science, now AI....

If we did want to restrict applications to a particular programme then we would need to revise the whole programme, course requirements, etc."

18.46 Date of next Teaching Committee - tbc. Not to be held in June, due to Board of Examiners meetings

18.47 AOCB