Committee roles and responsibilities
The following are the respective roles and responsibilities in relation to functioning of School committees.
- Chair meetings of the Committee (or, if not possible, make arrangements for a suitable alternate to chair the meeting).
- Ensure that meetings are quorate. Business may be conducted at meetings which are not quorate, however any decisions will need to be homologated, either by circulation or at a later, quorate, meeting.
- Ensure that meetings are conducted in good order and that business is dealt with in accordance with the remit of the Committee.
- Ensure that appropriate steps are taken to identify and deal with any potential conflicts of interest.
- Approve the draft minute, prior to publication.
- Periodically review the operation of the Committee, including its remit and membership and the effectiveness and efficiency with which it conducts its business.
With the support of the Committee Officer
- Agree and publish a schedule of meetings.
- Agree the agenda for each meeting (including any ‘standing items’) and identify any required papers.
- Identify any ‘reserved’ (ie private) items of business and make sure that they are dealt with appropriately.
- Ensure that places on the committee are filled as required. These will normally be a combination of ex officio members and representative members.
- In the case of representative members, ensure that appropriate processes are in place to identify and select members from the relevant constituencies.
- Ensure that representative members’ terms of office are respected and new or renewed appoints are made at the appropriate intervals.
- Support the Committee Convener/Chair in their role (see above).
- Advise the Committee Convener/Chair on procedural matters.
- Solicit agenda items and papers in advance of meetings.
- Make arrangements for meetings to be minuted.
- Ensure that agendas, minutes and papers are distributed in a timely manner.
- Ensure that non-attendees are advised of any required actions or decisions which impact upon them.
- Obtain reports on any outstanding actions from members who submit apologies to meetings.
- Make room bookings for Committee meetings and any other required arrangements (eg catering).
- Assist in the production of the agenda and collation of papers.
- Assist in the distribution/publication of agendas, minutes and papers.
- Attend the meeting to take notes and produce a draft minute of the meeting.
- Assist in ensuring that non-attendees are advised of any required actions or decisions which impact upon them.
- Assist in obtaining reports on any outstanding actions from members who submit apologies to meetings.
- Assist in processes to identify and select representative members of the Committee from the relevant constituencies.
In the case of some committees, the role of Committee Officer and Committee Clerk may be combined.