Health, Safety & Wellbeing Committee
An overview of Health, Safety & Wellbeing Committee
The Health, Safety & Wellbeing Committee (the Committee) advises the Head of School and Strategy Committee on health, safety and wellbeing matters that impact the School’s staff and students.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Review and monitor implementation and effectiveness of the School's health and safety policy and safe codes of working practice.
- Act as a forum for consultation and discussion on matters relating to health, safety and wellbeing.
- Examine and discuss the findings of internal and external safety inspections and audits.
- Review the School's accident and near-miss incident reports to identify health and safety risks that need to be addressed.
- Support the promotion of health and safety awareness and training across the School.
- Monitor and encourage First Aider and Fire Steward representation across the School.
- Promote the wellbeing of staff and students; identify and implement initiatives to enhance wellbeing.
- Monitor, encourage and promote the School’s Mental Health First Aiders Network within the School.
- Receive regular reports from MOBUG meetings to ensure the health, safety and security of the School’s staff and students.
- During the Covid-19 global pandemic, oversee the School’s response to health and safety compliance and staff and student wellbeing.
The Committee does not have responsibility for building and facilities matters unless issues arise that present a health and safety risk, or impact the general wellbeing of our staff and students. Health and safety concerns that require repairs to the School’s buildings or facilities will be referred to the Buildings Committee.
|Member Category||How Appointed||Incumbent|
|Head of School (Chair)||Ex officio||Jane Hillston|
|Director of Professional Services (Deputy Chair)||Ex officio||Joy Candlish|
|Health and Safety Advisor||Ex officio||Eilidh Guild|
|Buildings Manager||Ex Officio||Dave Hamilton|
|Laboratory Management Representative|
|Staffing Support Manager||Ex officio||Ria Murdoch|
|Technical Staff Representative||Appointed||Douglas Howie|
|Computing Staff Representative||Appointed||Carol Dow|
|Student Services Representative (representing Student Services staff and the interests of taught and PGR students)||Appointed||
|Academic and Teaching Staff Representatives (x2)||Appointed||
|Research Staff Representative (x2)||Appointed||
|PGR Student Representative||Appointed||
In attendance as required
Officer to the Committee: Health and Safety Advisor
Clerk to the Committee: Facilities Supervisor or nominee
Appointment of Members and term of office
Appointed members shall be appointed from the respective constituency with the support of the membership of that constituency.
Appointed members shall serve for a term of two consecutive years with the option of an extension for a further year.
Others may attend meetings of the Committee, at the discretion of the Chair, as the business of the committee may determine.
At the discretion of the Chair, members who are unable to attend may nominate a substitute, who will act with the member’s authority.
To Strategy Committee via Head of School.
Frequency of meetings
The Committee meets three times a year.
Minutes and Papers
All papers presented to this committee must use the template below:
|20th June 2023|
|28th February 2023||
|23rd November 2022|
|19th July 2022|
|19th April 2022|
|29th November 2021||
|9th June 2021|
|12th December 2019|
|17th June 2019|
|6th December 2017|
|31st May 2017|
|30th September 2016|
|13th February 2015|
Raising an Issue
Any member of School who wishes to raise a health, safety or wellbeing related item at this Committee should inform their Committee Representative or the Health and Safety Manager/Assistant.
Health & Safety Contacts
Multi-Occupancy Building Users Group (MOBUG) Committees are established for Appleton Tower, the Forum and Potterrow to focus on fire safety and building related issues. The convener, the School's Health & Safety Advisor, is given the authority by the Head of School to ensure that all fire safety matters appertaining to both buildings are maintained. The MOBUG committees have representatives from the Fire Safety Unit, Estates and Buildings and each Department or Unit occupying the building.
MOBUG committees are also established for Wilkie Building and Bayes Centre. The school's Health & Safety Advisor is a member of these MOBUGS and can be contacted for any queries in relation to those MOBUGS.