ICRA 2023 Embracing Contacts Workshop
2nd June 2023, London
Working on contact-rich manipulation? Our workshop Embracing contacts, making robots physically interact with our world, will be taking place at ICRA 2023 on Friday 2nd June in London.
We humans, utilize our potential to physically interact with the world by employing a diverse set of contact-rich strategies such as pushing, throwing, catching, sliding, rolling and pivoting, however we are yet to empower robots with such ability of embracing contacts during manipulation. In this workshop, we would like to discuss the unique challenges that handling contacts bring in the presence of under-actuated, hybrid, and uncertain dynamics, raising questions such as:
1) How to model hybrid contact dynamics in planning and control; with constraints (phase-based vs contact implicit) or via learned contact dynamics?
2) How to handle errors in the timing of contact-mode switches that might trigger impacts?
3) How to address model mis-match and generalize beyond training data; in scenarios with different numbers and types of contact events?
4) How effective can novel tools and gripper designs be?
5) What is the role of tactile and geometric information when handling contacts?
Amid a growing interest in making robots manipulate in human-centered environments, e.g. homecare, logistics, healthcare, we aim at gathering researchers from mechanical design, perception, control, planning and learning, to tackle among others, some of the above questions and to discuss the future of contact-rich manipulation.
Join us and be ready for super engaging talks and discussions with amazing speakers from both industry and academia.
Submit your latest results on mechanical design, perception, control, planning and learning for contact-rich manipulation at the link below.