Deputy Head of School
Information on the Deputy Head of School role.
The Deputy Head of School (DHoS) will provide strategic leadership in the areas of academic resource management, academic staff development and performance management as well as deputising for the Head of School.
- Line management of Grade 10 academic staff, except those who report directly to HoS*. Responsibilities include undertake PDRs, mentoring and coaching and other line management responsibilities.
- Fulfil the School’s Director of Academic Staff Development role, which includes Convener of the School’s Academic Promotions Committee and Academic Sabbaticals Committee, and oversight of Academic Staff Contribution Awards processes. Assist the Head of School in writing School promotion and contribution award support letters, and lead School processes in relation to academic staff reward and recognition and work to ensure continuous improvement of culture around related UoE or SoI processes.
- In consultation with Director of Teaching and Director of Professional Services (or delegates), oversight of the School’s duty allocation process.
- Member of School Executive Group
- Deputy Chair of School Strategy Committee; attend other relevant meetings ex officio
- Advise HoS on relevant aspects of school business as requested (strategy, management, personnel, operations)
- Deputise for Head of School as required in external and internal committees, working groups and other activities.
- Convene, and lead various School level working groups/projects.
Appointments to Deputy Head of School role will normally be for three years, renewable by agreement between Head of School and the incumbent.
*Academic members of the School Strategy Committee will report to the Head of School, as will members of the Institute of LFCS during the tenure of the current Head of School (Professor Jane Hillston), to ensure an equal distribution of reports between the Head of School and Deputy Head of School.