Deputy Head of School
Information on the Deputy Head of School role.
The Deputy Head of School (DHoS) will provide strategic leadership in the areas of academic resource management, academic staff development and performance management as well as deputising for the Head of School.
- Deputise for Head of School (HoS) as required in external and internal committees, working groups and other activities.
- Member of School Executive Group and Deputy Chair of School Strategy Committee; attend other relevant meetings ex officio
- Support and advise HoS on relevant aspects of school business as required (strategy, management, personnel, operations), including convening and leading various School level working groups/projects.
- In consultation with Director of Teaching and Director of Professional Services (or delegates), oversight of the School’s academic staff duty allocation process.
- Fulfil the School’s Director of Academic Staff Development role, which includes Convener of the School’s Academic Promotions Committee and Academic Sabbaticals Committee, and oversight of Academic staff contribution awards processes. Assist the Head of School in writing School promotion and contribution award support letters, and lead School processes in relation to academic staff reward and recognition and work to ensure continuous improvement of culture around related UoE or SoI processes, and, together with DoPS and HR professional service staff, coordinate development opportunities and training provision for academic staff.
- Provide advice and oversight to DoIs in line management matters, including absences, contract variations, performance, progression and reward, grievances and complaints and other contractual matters, supported by specialist professional services staff, as appropriate.
- Chair recruitment panels for academic staff and negotiate job offers and retentions, as directed by HoS. Oversee arrangements for the induction of new academic staff.
Appointments to Deputy Head of School role will normally be for three years, renewable by agreement between Head of School and the incumbent. Terms may be adjusted to ensure that that Head of School and Deputy Head of School terms do not end at the same time.